Discover Corps Coronavirus Watch
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a rapidly evolving situation causing growing concern across the globe and Discover Corps is committed to addressing all traveler questions or concerns relating to the developing matter.
As with all of our in-country operations, safety is our top priority. To remain informed of global and regional events worldwide, we rely on our partners around the world and trusted agencies to help keep our Travel Operations & Risk Management teams updated on current events.
Discover Corps, in conjunction with our sister organization Global Leadership Adventures and a team of risk management professionals, has developed a thorough set of policies & procedures for operating globally in this new age of travel. You can access the COVID-19 Risk Management Manual via the COVID-19 Portal here.
We follow the most up-to-date information and updates from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), WHO (World Health Organization) and the US Department of State, and based on these guiding entities, make determinations to continue or postpone trips:
- United States’ Department of State
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
As of January 2021, we have resumed a limited set of small group departures. We are continuing to watch how the situation is managed across the globe. Should COVID-19 restrictions or border closures prevent us from operating a trip, we will postpone the departure and work with you to reschedule.
To give you peace of mind, if you would like to pre-emptively switch, that’s also not a problem. Below is our lightened policy:
Our Lightened Change Policy
- If you’re booked for a trip and you decide you’d like to postpone to a later date, you are free to transfer your funds at no charge anytime prior to the 90- day mark (see below)
- If your departure date is 91 or more days away: We are offering travelers the option to relocate their funds to another country or departure date. Travel on a different trip in another country, change your travel date to something later in the year or decide what you would like to do with your funds at any point in the future. 100% of your payment will be rolled over for future use. Refunds will be calculated based on the date of cancelation according to Discover Corps’ standard cancelation policy as outlined here.
- If your departure date is in 90 days or less away: You are subject to our standard cancelation policy as outlined here.
There are 3 destination exceptions to this lightened change policy: Alaska, The Galapagos Islands, and Uganda. For these three destinations, canceling or switching dates is subject to Discover Corps’ standard cancelation policy as outlined here.
This lightened policy will be utilized until May 31, 2021. Beyond this, we will reassess as needed and keep you updated here.
Please note, your refund policy tier will carry over to your “new” trip (eg – for transfers less than three months prior to the trip, your new trip program fee will remain 25% refundable regardless of the new date). This refund policy applies to all money that has already been paid for the Discover Corps trip. This does not include flights. Please inquire with your Travel Insurance protection plan for coverage details.
Many airlines have stepped in to offer waivers on fees for flight changes to offer more travel flexibility. Here is an overview of current policies enacted by the major domestic carriers:
- American Airlines: American Airlines is eliminating all change fees for First, Business, Premium Economy and Main Cabin tickets for all domestic and short-haul international flying for tickets issued on or after August 31, 2020.
- Delta Airlines: Delta is waiving change fees and Award redeposit fees providing greater flexibility to travel using eCredits through December 31, 2022, for customers who purchased their ticket before April 17, 2020, and are scheduled to travel through March 31, 2021.
- JetBlue: JetBlue is waiving change/cancel fees for customers with existing bookings made through February 28, 2021. If you choose to rebook, you can do so on any flight through the end of our schedule. Fare difference may apply.
- United Airlines: United is permanently getting rid of change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean.
Discover Corps’ Protocol
Discover Corps understands there’s an inherent risk in traveling during a pandemic. It’s our aim to mitigate as much risk as possible within our control and deliver a safe travel experience for you and your family.
Here are the top 5 ways Discover Corps is operating with safety at the forefront of every trip:
1. True to our roots, we are delivering on small group travel. We will take a maximum of 12 travelers with an average of 6-8.
2. We are working closely with our partners on risk mitigation and are evaluating safety protocols on a bi-weekly basis.
3. We are requiring that all travelers provide a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of travel, regardless of whether the destination requires it.
4. Daily Temperature checks will be conducted by staff daily.
5. We will be personally supporting you throughout the pre-departure process and during the trip to allay your concerns.
*Please note: Discover Corps requires a negative COVID test within 72 hours of departure to the host country (or proof of vaccine if the destination allows.) As of 1/26/21, CDC requires all travelers returning to the U.S. to present a negative COVID test within 3 days of departure from the host country. Discover Corps will assist travelers in getting these tests in-country, prior to traveling back to the U.S.
Questions or Concerns?
If you have any additional questions, please contact us at any time. We are happy to discuss with you our safety & health guidelines we have in place for operating travel with safety as a top priority. We look forward to discussing travel with you and making it a reality when you are ready!
- CDC: Travel Health Notices
- Travel Safely During Covid-19
- NY Times: CDC says Vaccinated Americans can travel
Live Updates & Latest Information
- WHO: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Situation Report
- WHO: Advice for Public
- CDC: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- CDC: Facts about COVID-19 Vaccines