The mystical Bumthang Valley located in Eastern Bhutan is a place that is both an untouched shangri-la and a place that is seemingly stuck in time. If you’ve dreamed of traveling to arguably one of the furthest corners of Earth, this may be it. If you felt like Paro and Thimphu were secluded, wait until you step foot in in Bumthang!
Over the course of 5 days, we’ll fly to the valley and set of to uncover hidden village communities, incredible mountain landscapes and towering sacred monasteries. Dotted with flourishing fields, centuries-old farms and pristine nature, Bumthang and the surrounding valleys are truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Visit local farming cooperatives one day and uncover the allure of the valley’s shy, warm people the next.
Extend Your Journey in Bhutan
The journey to the Bumthang Valley is a wonderful addition to your Bhutanese experience. See a different side of the country – one that receives few foreign tourists and truly feels like another world.
Where You’ll Stay
We’ve selected a special property for your stay in the Bhumthang Valley. The Ogyen Choling Hotel is an old palace converted into a 4-star boutique hotel which is run by an acclaimed Bhutanese write and author and her Swiss husband. The building is centuries old, but recently renovated to have modern amenities. A truly unique experience in the heart of the Himalayas!
Back in Paro, we’ll return to the charming Naksel Boutique Hotel for our final evening together.
Begin the extension with a short 45 minute flight from Paro to the Eastern part of the country. Settle into our charming lodge and set out on a walking tour of the valley visiting lakes, monasteries and local dairy cooperatives. The following day venture to the mystical Tang Valley.
Visit one of the area’s most sacred Buddhist temples and meet with locals at one of the country’s largest organic farms. Continue the next day to the Ura Valley. At over 10,000 feet, the valley hosts some of Bhutan’s oldest settlements and is a place where time has truly stood still. End the trip back in Paro for some free time before your flight back to New Delhi and onwards home.
Dates and Prices
Our extensions are inclusive of all activities, lodging, transport and most meals to make your experience hassle-free.
- Double Occupancy Price. Children’s pricing applies to travelers 16 years old and younger sharing a room with an adult
- Single Room Supplement = $395*
- *Note: Even if you opted not to pay the SRS, if we are unable to find a suitable roommate for you then you will be required to pay the SRS at a later time.
- Price does not include mandatory domestic flight supplement
- Bilingual expert Bhutanese Guide & private driver
- All meals on the extension
- 4 nights accommodation in 4-star boutique hotels in the Bumthang Valley & Paro
- All scheduled activities
- All in-country ground transportation and airport transfers via private vans
- Round-Trip flight between Paro & the Bumthang Valley
- Tips for luggage handling, restaurants, and programmed activities throughout tour
- 24-hour Discover Corps emergency hotline & turnkey service
What’s Not Included:
- Tips for Bhutanese guide and driver
- International airfare
- $350 per person round trip domestic flight supplement (this additional cost will be included in the final price after booking and is coordinated by Discover Corps)
This extension can be added to the end of any Bhutan: The Hidden Kingdom departure.