Today, the people of Hiroshima have rebuilt their city after the atomic bomb was dropped. It has become a place full of history yet rich in culture. The average age today of those who survived the bombs is about 80 years old, called “hibakusha,” translating directly to “explosion affected people.”
In Miyajima, experience a very relaxed island overlooking the Torii Gate on the water, a holy site in Japan. With sweeping coastline views and breathtaking sunsets, this extension offers yet again very contrasting views of the beautiful Japan.
What You'll Do
Before jetting off on a bullet train to Hiroshima, spend a little bit more time in Kyoto at the Fushimi Inari Shrine and navigate your way through thousands of bright red gates leading to breathtaking Japanese gardens. After your 1.5 hour bullet train, arrive to your first 4-star hotel in the historic Hiroshima.
In the afternoon, explore Miyajima, an island where tame deer accompany you as you explore the stunning shrines, beaches, and waterfalls. Stay overnight at a 3-star hotel on the island.
What You'll See
Visit the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park & Museum and learn from locals and experts about the tragic past and how Hiroshima recovered from the atomic bomb. Learn to make origami cranes, a symbol of peace in Japan, and add them to the museum’s collection. After lunch on your own, explore the island of Miyajima. Stay overnight in a 3-star hotel on the island and watch the sun set over the holy Torii Gate, one of Japan’s most beloved sites.
Where You'll Stay
Stay in a 4-star hotel in Hiroshima complete with wifi, hot water, air conditioning, and a cleaning service. The hotel offers views of the city and is centrally located to some of Hiroshima’s most impressive restaurants. In Miyajima, stay in a 3-star hotel with a traditional Japanese look and feel. Sleep on cushioned mats and enjoy a simple eating table close to the ground to truly immerse yourself in the culture of Miyajima before heading out for the sunset.
Spend your mornings learning about Japanese culture – one day at the Fushimi Inari Shrine and another at the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park & Museum – and spend your afternoons relaxing and taking in the beautiful sites of this new region of Japan.
Miyajima is home to stunning beaches and waterfalls in addition to shrines and the famous Torii Gate, so enjoy plenty of leisure time to explore on your own and indulge in the local cuisine.
Want to learn more?Request an itinerary
“We opted for the extension to Hiroshima and were pleasantly surprised by Miyajima. It was somewhere I never would have thought to visit, but it was a highlight of the trip. My kids loved the deer surrounding us and my husband and I couldn’t take our eyes away from the breathtaking views.”
Dates & Fees
We offer several Family Friendly dates, to help families book travel around common school vacation times
3 Day / 2 Night Japan Extension
Program Cost (Added to any Japan: Cultural Odyssey departure):
$1295 (Adult) / $1195(Child)*
- * Double Occupancy Price. If needed, we can pair you with another traveler of the same gender to keep costs down, or opt for the SRS (below). However, you are required to pay the SRS if we are unable to find you a suitable roommate.
- Children’s pricing applies to travelers 16 years old and younger sharing a room with an adult.
- Single Room Supplement = $199
- Although unlikely, prices, dates, and accommodations subject to change with a 60 day notice from Discover Corps
- All dates are Family Friendly
Our trips are inclusive of all activities, lodging, and transport to make your experience hassle-free. Here’s a sample of what’s included:
- 2 nights lodging
- Loaded transportation card for the duration of your trip on bullet trains, covering the attached itinerary
- Expert local guides to support and inform you throughout
- Admissions and entrance fees to national parks, historic sites and other scheduled events unless marked as optional
- $50,000 emergency medical evacuation insurance
- Trip literature and turnkey customer support from preparing for your trip to arrival back home
What’s Not Included
- All meals
- International airfare
Alumni & Family Discounts, Monthly Payment Plans, and More
Customized Private Trips
Let us create a custom trip for your group. Learn more about custom group travel.
Subscribe to Our Monthly Newsletter!