Stretching for nearly 125 miles between Nicaragua and Panama, Costa Rica’s majestic Caribbean coastline is a tropical wilderness. More rugged and less touristy than the adjacent Pacific Coast, the jungle-lined beaches and interior host an exotic array of wildlife, from howler monkeys dangling in the trees to massive iguanas crossing the road.
Over the course of 8 days, uncover the country’s iconic natural surroundings and rich Caribbean coast. Visit orphaned toucans, sleepy sloths and injured animals at a wildlife rescue center. Swim in the turquoise Caribbean waters and relax on palm-lined white sand beaches. Explore the enchanting inland water ways by boat scouting for sloths and monkeys in the canopy overhead. Learn about local Caribbean cuisine during an evening cooking demonstration and journey to a village pineapple plantation. Tour the world-leading La Selva Biological station located deep in the jungle.
Uncover the Costa Rica’s Wild Caribbean Coast
Costa Rica lives up to its name, “rich coast” with varied landscapes throughout the country. The Caribbean coast, known for its distinct multicultural atmosphere, offers a less discovered yet unforgettable experience filled with exotic wildlife set in the lush rainforest.
The wonderful wildlife of Costa Rica faces threats from every angle as developers, global warming, and poachers attempt to diminish the nation’s rich biodiversity. To achieve our purpose, meet the people working to protect some of the nation’s most vulnerable species and join in their conservation efforts. Venture to a jaguar rescue center to learn how injured sloths are being rescued in the wild. Hike through the rainforest with a naturalist guide and scout for wild howler monkeys and toucans. Spend an afternoon going behind-the-scenes at a sanctuary that cares for injured wildlife.
Where You’ll Stay
Our portfolio of distinctive, family-run accommodations will ensure that you are comfortable and relaxed during your time in Costa Rica. Begin the journey with two nights at Ara Ambigua Lodge in Sarapiqui. Set amongst exuberant rainforest and tropical gardens, step out of your room and be immediately transported into the jungle. Continue onto the Caribbean coast with two nights at Suizo Loco, a quaint boutique hotel walking distance to the beach. The next two nights you will either stay at Lirio Lodge, an eco-lodge set amongst the tropical canals of Southern Tortuguero National Park, or Miss Junie’s, a simple beachfront lodge that puts you at the heart of turtle conservation in the area. End the trip with a final evening at Casa Cielo Grande overlooking the vast Central Valley of Costa Rica.
Enjoy the scenic drive from San Jose to Sarapiqui, home to the world-class La Selva Biological Station where you’ll scout for wildlife lurking in the rainforest with a naturalist guide. Enjoy a rafting adventure or opt for a tour of a local pineapple farm. Continue to Cahuita National Park and stop at a renown wildlife rescue center along the way to learn about work these conservationists are doing to protect the country’s injured or abandoned wildlife.
Continue your journey by heading to Tortuguero, a remote area of the coast known for it’s abundance of wildlife best explored by the maze of waterways. Hop on a canoe and adventure on your own before watching a cooking demonstration where you’ll learn how to make snacks unique to the area. Depending on the time of year, help spot hatchlings and nesting sea turtles along the beach. Finish off the trip by visiting another wildlife rescue center before heading back to San Jose to depart.
Your Expert Local Guide
Discover Corps’ expert family of guides around the world are by your side throughout the journey. Please note that the actual guide may vary from date-to-date.
Karla is born and raised on Costa Rica’s tropical Caribbean Coast. She is the youngest of seven children and comes from a long line of passionate wildlife enthusiasts. This led Karla to become a researcher working in various conservation areas throughout Costa Rica collecting data on plants, wildlife and insects. Karla has 23 years of leading trips throughout the region and is the true personification of Costa Rica’s “Pura Vida” spirit!
Dates and Prices
Our trips are inclusive of all activities, lodging, transport and most meals to make your experience hassle-free.
- Double Occupancy Price. Children’s pricing applies to travelers 16 years old and younger sharing a room with an adult
- Single Room Supplement (single room in shared enclosed apartment) = $350
- Adventure Supplement = $100 per person. Includes half-day white water rafting excursion.
- As of 2022, Costa Rica requires all travelers 18 years and older must be fully vaccinated in order to participate.
- Boutique 3-star accommodations throughout the trip
- All meals and non-alcoholic beverages
- Expert local guides that are there to support, inform and guide you throughout the trip
- Reliable in-country transportation with experienced drivers
- Admissions and entrance fees to national parks, historic sites and other scheduled events throughout the trip
- Visits to fascinating wildlife conservation organizations protecting sloths, monkeys, toucans and other animals
- An active daily itinerary including a cooking class, snorkeling and tour of a pineapple plantation
- All gratuities for hotels, meals, & baggage
- All land transportation during the trip
- $50,000 emergency medical evacuation insurance
- 24-hour Discover Corps emergency hotline
What’s Not Included:
- Tips for Discover Corps Guide
- Optional Adventure Supplement
- International Airfare
Our intimate, small-group departures consist of like-minded travelers. Don’t see a date that works? Let us know and we’ll make it happen.
November 20-27, 2021
December 18-25, 2021
February 19-26, 2022
March 12-19, 2022
May 14-21, 2022
July 9-16, 2022
August 20-27, 2022
November 19-26, 2022
December 17-24, 2022
February 18-25, 2023
March 11-18, 2023
May 13-20, 2023