There is simply no better place in South America to coexist with the animal kingdom than the Amazon Rainforest. Tucked in one of the most remote corners of the Amazon Jungle, Tambopata National Reserve is home to some of the best wildlife sightings and pristine nature that the jungle has to offer. Combined with the comfort of the renowned Tambopata boutique eco-lodge, you’ll be at ground zero for an experience unlike any other. Spend four days exploring with the local guides. Whether it’s scouting for jaguars, monkeys, birds, insects and amphibians, taking a night a hike to see nocturnal wildlife, or taking a boat along the river, each day will be a true adventure.
Extend Your Journey in Peru
There really isn’t a better way to end your adventure through Peru than with a visit to the iconic Amazon Rainforest. Macchu Picchu and the Amazon on the same trip? Only with Discover Corps.
Where You’ll Stay
Our home-away-from-home in the Amazon will be Tambopata Research Center, a boutique eco-luxury lodge located in the heart of the national reserve. This 24 room hotel mixes pristine nature with upscale amenities including a spa in the middle of the jungle. At your doorstep are a range of wildlife from insects to monkeys to macaws. This is truly a one-of-a-kind experience that cannot be replicated anywhere else on the planet!
Take a short flight from Cusco to the heart of the Peruvian Amazon Rainforest. Arrive to your eco-lodge, a unique open-air research center, after a 2 hour boat ride on the Malinowski River. This location is settled in a pristine forest and is the only lodge permitted to be inside a National Park. In the afternoon, take a 2-3 mile hike to the scenic overlook of Tambopata and it’s bamboo forest, home to Howler and Dusku Titi Monkeys. Enjoy a relaxing evening after dinner under the stars.
The next day is left open for you to partake in your own adventure! You can select from a dozen activities offered through the lodge and their expert team of guides. You can choose to set up camera traps and learn about bird, mammal, and big cat data collection or choose to set out on the lodge’s monkey search, scouting for red howler and spider monkeys! In the evening, opt for a guided jungle walk to witness the symphony of nocturnal creatures. The following day, partake in another citizen science adventure to identify insects and visit the Chunco Macaw Clay Lick where colorful parrots and macaws flock to. Take a canoe ride or a sunset cruise. On the final day, enjoy a farewell breakfast together and say goodbye to our wonderful team of guides. Head back to the port via boat and onwards to flights back home.
Dates and Prices
Our extensions are inclusive of all activities, lodging, transport and most meals to make your experience hassle-free.
- Double Occupancy Price. Children’s pricing applies to travelers 16 years old and younger sharing a room with an adult
- Single Room Supplement = $300 *
- *Note: Even if you opted not to pay the SRS, if we are unable to find a suitable roommate for you then you will be required to pay the SRS at a later time
- 3 nights at a boutique rainforest eco-lodge, open-air.
- All meals throughout the extension
- All ground transportation including airport transfers and boat rides
- All activities and entrance fees (shared at the resort)
- Expert team of local guides
- $50,000 emergency medical evacuation insurance
- 24-hour Discover Corps emergency hotline
What’s Not Included:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Tips for the local guides and drivers
- $200 one-way flight supplement (you are also responsible for your International flight back home from Puerto Maldonado)
This extension can be added to the end of any Peru: Wonders of the Sacred Valley departure