The Amazon Rainforest is truly the life spring of the planet – the source of the water we drink, air we breathe and weather we experience. Stretching across nine South American nations, the Amazon is a place of tranquil beauty, extreme biodiversity and lush rainforest landscape. Hundreds of species of tropical birds take to the skies, waters teem with exotic fish and monkeys hop between trees in the canopy above.
Whether by foot or boat, each day will be a memorable adventure into the Amazon Rainforest. Take a canoe out in the day to fish for pirahna and spot wildlife high up in the trees including monkeys, parrots and, if you’re lucky, sloths. Then return by night to gaze at the stars and spot wild caiman relaxing by the river banks. Hike along jungle trails searching for medicinal plants with your indigenous guide and venture to a site where hundreds of parrots and parakeets gather to feed each day. Spend an afternoon with a local tribal community to experience life in the Amazon. Each night, return to our luxury eco-resort and fall asleep to the sounds of howling monkeys and insects in the distance.
Extend your Galapagos Journey
The Amazon is one of the planet’s natural wonders. Compliment your trip to the Galapagos Islands with a true jungle experience as you explore the Amazon from a luxury eco-lodge.
Where You’ll Stay
Located in the heart of the Ecuadorian Amazon jungle, stay in one of two luxury eco-lodges in our portfolio – La Selva Lodge or Sacha Lodge. At your doorstep is a kaleidoscope of natural wonders, from over 500 bird species to monkeys to caimans and piranha in the nearby river. Thatched bungalows are spread across each property complete with private bathrooms, hot showers, electricity, ceiling fans, a hammock and mosquito netting for each bed (there is no air conditioning for ecological reasons). La Selva’s restaurant features a French chef whose expertise includes integrating local ingredients from the on-site garden and supports the local Pilchi community and their indigenous knowledge of the Amazon Rainforest. At Sacha Lodge enjoy a restaurant right along the shimmering Pilchicocha Lake that utilizes only fresh and sustainable ingredients.
Return from your adventure in the Galapagos and rest up for an evening in Quito before taking a one-hour flight deep into the heart of the Ecuadorian rainforest. Take a canoe to our eco-lodge and settle-in. Over the next four days, we’ll follow a daily program that includes trekking in
search of monkeys, parrots and insects of all types, boat rides along the mighty Amazon River, meetings with local village communities that the lodge supports and night hikes to uncover the nocturnal life of the jungle. Enjoy dinner overlooking the rainforest each evening and sample an array of local foods prepared by the in-house French chef. On Day 4, fly back to Quito for our international connections home.
Dates and Prices
Our extensions are inclusive of all activities, lodging, transport and most meals to make your experience hassle-free.
- Double Occupancy Price. Children’s pricing applies to travelers 16 years old and younger sharing a room with an adult
- Single Room Supplement = $400 *
- Note: Even if you opted not to pay the SRS, if we are unable to find a suitable roommate for you then you will be required to pay the SRS at a later time *
- *Price does not include a $300 round-trip domestic flight supplement
- All meals
- 1 night accommodation in Quito before extension
- 3 nights accommodation in 5-star luxury eco-lodge in Amazon
- All airport transfers
- Round-trip canoe ride to eco-lodge
- Full schedule of activities and tours in the Amazon
- Bilingual expert naturalist guide & local indigenous guide for excursions
- $50,000 emergency medical evacuation insurance
- 24-hour Discover Corps emergency hotline & turnkey service
What’s Not Included:
- Tips for guides and drivers
- Alcoholic beverages & sodas
- Mandatory round trip flight from Quito to Coca in the Ecuadorian Amazon. Currently, the total cost for this is $300 per person.
This extension can be added to the end of any Galapagos Islands – Family Volunteer Adventure departure.