Lying just off the Tanzanian coast, Zanzibar Island is the jewel of the Indian Ocean. Boasting some of the finest beaches in East Africa, a mesmerizing mix of cultural influences and some of the world’s best preserved giant turtle populations, Zanzibar is an island unlike any other. Swim, snorkel and explore the colorful reefs one day and venture into the island’s iconic spice markets the next day. Each night, relax in some of the island’s finest 4 & 5-star hotels – a perfect way to end your Kenyan safari adventure.
Extend Your Journey in East Africa
There really isn’t a better way to end your East African journey than relaxing on a tropical Indian Ocean island. A truly relaxing, high-end capstone that will show you a different side of the African continent.
Where You’ll Stay
Over the course of 5 days, experience the rhythms of two different sides of the island from the comfort of Zanzibar’s top resorts. The first night will be spent in Nairobi due to our late arrival from the Maasai Mara before flying out the following morning. Arrive in Zanzibar where the second night will be spent at the Zanzibar Serena Hotel, an iconic 5-star oceanfront property that is located adjacent to the ancient streets of Stone Town. Relax poolside while taking in the breathtaking tropical waters of the Indian Ocean. The next two nights of the extension will take you to the 4-star Essque Zalu Resort on Zanzibar’s tropical north coast. Perched on an outcrop overlooking a shallow, coral-fringed lagoon, you’ll enjoy the peace and quiet of the island’s famously relaxed atmosphere.
After arriving in the evening from the Maasai Mara, unwind at a casual hotel near the airport. The next morning, fly to Zanzibar and take a guided tour of Stone Town visiting all of the must-see sights including the Sultan’s Palace and Freddy Mercury’s house. Then venture off the coast to Prison Island, home of Zanzibar’s largest giant tortoise sanctuary. Meet these gentle giants and take a swim in the warm Indian Ocean waters before dinner in town that evening.
The next day we’ll set off to the northern part of the island which is home to Zanzibar’s most beautiful beaches. Settle into the Essque Zalu Zanzibar and take in the relaxed oceanfront views. We’ll spend two days here where you can choose to swim, snorkel or relax on the beach, it is an independent day to chart your own course. Enjoy an evening dinner together under the stars. On the final day, visit a local spice farm for an unforgettable lunch and tour through the greens before departing Zanzibar in the evening for your flight home.
Dates and Prices
Our extensions are inclusive of all activities, lodging, transport and most meals to make your experience hassle-free.
- Double Occupancy Price. Children’s pricing applies to travelers 16 years old and younger sharing a room with an adult
- Single Room Supplement = $495 *
- *Note: Even if you opted not to pay the SRS, if we are unable to find a suitable roommate for you then you will be required to pay the SRS at a later time
- Price does not include mandatory domestic flight supplement
- 1 night 4-star hotel lodging in Nairobi
- 1 night in 5-star hotel lodging in Stone Town
- 2 nights in 4-star hotel lodging in Matemwe
- All meals throughout the extension except 2 free lunches & 1 free dinner
- All transportation
- All activities and entrance fees
- Expert local guide throughout the extension
- $50,000 emergency medical evacuation insurance
- 24-hour Discover Corps emergency hotline
What’s Not Included:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Tips for the primary guide and driver
- International airfare
- $350 per person one-way flight supplement (this additional cost will be included in the final price after booking and is coordinated by Discover Corps)
- Tanzanian visa
- Snorkeling or other activities you may choose on Day 12
- 2 lunches/1 dinner
This extension can be added to the end of any Kenya: Safari & Conservation departure